Thursday, September 28, 2006

9.28.06 Emergency Room Visit



To the left is a CT Scan of a normal brain. Why am I posting this? Well, read below and I will tell you.

Last night, my husband got home late from a flight he and some friends had taken to Austin. He told me that he got to take off, fly and land the plane and was very excited about it. He also said that when he was coming in for the landing he had a really bad pain in his head. A sharp pain...not like a headache...the worst he had ever felt. The sharp pain lasted about 30 minutes and then subsided slightly. The after effect was the front part of his head and around his eye felt bruised. He told me that he wanted to see the doctor the next day. I was worried because he never complains about anything and he never asks to see the doctor. Like all men, he usually has to be convinced to see the doctor. This time he was asking to see one. It was nearly 3 AM when he got home; so, I told him we could make an appointment the next day.

Today, I made an appointment with our primary care doctor who we really like and trust. We were going to wait until the appointment and talk to the doctor about what happened. My mother-in-law called her doctor and told him the symptoms my husband had had the night before. This doctor suggested that my husband get to an emergency room as soon as possible. My mother-in-law called my husband and told him to get to an emergency room; so, his brother picked him up and took him to the hospital.

I was at work; so, I had to meet my husband there. We were both very scared and really didn't know what to think. Since we lost our first child, losing someone is a first hand reality to us. I get really scared anytime something like this happens. To tell you the truth, I was a nervous reck. I hide it well; so, had you seen me you would have never known. You might have thought that I was not scared at all...but, I was (and still am) freaking out inside.

The emergency room doctor ordered a CT scan. It came back normal. I guess that is good; but, what caused the pain? Will it come back? The ER doctor suggested we follow up with a neurologist who could perform an MRI on my husband's brain. We are in the process of making an appointment with a neurologist.

We are back home. We will be OK...we always have been no matter what...but, we are still scared since we don't know anything yet.

I will keep you all updated as we find out more.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindy, you and Cameron both are in my prayers. I hope everything turns out well. I will be thinking about you. Love, Michelle

10:30 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

It is good that the CT scan didn't turn up anything, but I hope they find out what happened... and that all is okay now and it won't happen again!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad to CT Scan didn't find anything wrong. Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and Cameron.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh dear....that musta been so scary!!!
(I'm here for the Saturday Photo Hunt Blogroll and had to stop and read your last entry.)

I DO hope all will be okay and it's just maybe the highness and the pressure from it. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

I, too, came here for the Photo Hunt and stayed to read your post.

I have prayed for your husband and will do so in the days to come. Subscribing so that I will get the updates. . .

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad they didn't find anything.. and I can relate to what happened to your hubby. I had the same thing happen to me about 7 years ago yet it was like yesterday. I, too, had a sharp pain in my head that came on suddenly. Nothing like a headache, it was like I'd been hit over the head with an iron bar. (not that I know what that feels like lol) Anyway, it subsided a little, but I still felt it.. and I felt it for the next 18 months. I wore a neck brace (they said it was whiplash at first do'h) but that didn't work. I suffered pains in my ears too a short time after, and I had dizzy spells for months. My eyes wouldn't properly focus.. verrry weird.

To this day they don't know what caused it, even though I had scans, X-rays etc.. but they DID mention the word stress and said that strange things can happen to your body, sometimes brought on years later, after a stressful event..

I still feel a twinge every now and again, that reminds me of the pain I suffered.

Maybe they won't find anything wrong with your hubby. That's the worst part, when they don't have the answers..

Good luck!

Mandy

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home