Friday, November 17, 2006

11.17.06 We are in the Chewing Phase

She's growing up, isn't she? She's so pretty. And, that is not a biased opinion just because I am her Mom. :o)

She is in the chewing stage now. When she had claws, she dug two holes in the bottom of the box spring frame of our bed. She likes to hide out in there. She also likes to chew on the wooden bed frame. The sounds of a kitten chomping down on wood at 3 AM is not a great sound to wake up to...especially if you intend on being in a good mood. This weekend we plan to recover the bottom of the frame so she can't get in there anymore. She has also started chewing on other things such as my hairbrush, my watch and probably many more things that I just haven't caught her at yet.

My boss brought her some chew sticks made for cats. With a dog, you can give them a treat and they take it immediately. It has been my experience so far that you have to let the cat "discover" the treat. So, I left the chew stick on the coffee table for Kira to "discover" and run away with. Well, Haleigh (the dog) discovered it first and ate it in less than a minute. Unless I can find some magical way to give Kira chew treats without Haleigh getting them first, I will have to give up trying with the chew sticks.

Kira is my first cat to ever have as a pet; so, I just don't know as much about her and how to solve/worth with any problems I have with her. Do y'all have any suggestions on the chewing? Does the Chewing Phase ever end like it does with puppies?

For Christmas, I would like to get her a cat tower with some hiding places...especially since I took away one of her best hiding spots under the bed. I have one picked out that I really think she will like. Don't tell her yet...I want it to be a surprise. :o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

She is too cute!! Nice shot with her and the Mouse!! Kira would have so much fun in a tower!! It would be worth it, getting sleep, and furniture not chewed up and scratched! My cats love hiding up in our bed too!
Have a fun Friday!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I think it's a phase.. she will stop.
And my cats love their cat towers! They also really love those hammacks you hang on the window ledge. (inside, of course)

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cat tower is a great idea. We have one for our three, and they play on it daily.

As for the chewing, our eldest cat 'Sandy' still chews at the age of 5 so I think it's ongoing. Our other 3 year old cat even swallowed a needle and thread!! Luckily it came out the other end, still intact! I was like OMG!

They really are like babies, you have to keep your eyes open at all times.. and keep dangerous things (like needles and threads lol) away from them.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Love the cat and the mouse. Clever. I can't believe I grew up with cats all over the house, and they managed to survive without one cat toy or a tower. They were lucky to be fed and have their litter box cleaned once a week. And they liked it. Same as my sisters and me. No cat toys for us either.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I came here for Photo hunting and discovered that you have a cat and even wrote about her. I really don't know what it is about with your cat chewing problem, I always had cats in my life, but none did chew. I think it will pass with the time.
The reason for writing you is, I had an idea yesterday to gather cat lovers and then blog once in a week about cats. If you are interested go to my cat blog for more information;

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home