Thursday, November 30, 2006

11.30.06 Wintery Mix


What is all that pink stuff on the map? It indicates Ice. The white is not cloud cover...it is snow. Snow! We rarely get weather like this. I had to look at the key to see what the pink color on the map meant. I am excited about the cold weather and the 1 inch (maybe 2 inches if we are lucky) of snow we will see. I never get to see snow...unless we drive to the Grand Canyon inArizona during Spring Break...but, that is another story for another time.
Yesterday, my mother-in-law was mowing the lawn. I walked out in a t-shirt, shorts and barefeet and was comfortable. And, I had to turn on the air conditioner because it was in the high 70's in my apartment. I was working and got hot. Today, SNOW!
Also, our office is closing early today due to the inclement weather! Yea, I love half day surprises. I am going to go home, snuggle up with the pets and watch a movie and drink hot chocolate. Got to enjoy it while we can. :)
Some of you may be laughing because we, Texans, close down when there is the possibility of snow. Well, in our defense I say this:
1. Driving in ice (which is really what we have...we just call it snow) is much different than driving in snow.
2. No. We are not prepared with snow plows, salt/sand, etc. It is a waste of money to have such equipment when you use it once (maybe twice...maybe not at all) a year.
3. No. We don't have snow tires or those little plugs that hang out of the front our our cars. What are those anyway?
4. Who doesn't want an excuse for a day off?
5. We laugh at anyone who closes down when it is too hot.
Below is an email that came from the CEO/President of the company where my husband is employed. He is a great guy with a great sense of humor. I love reading his emails.
"Team,
Having been born in Gladewater, Tx, raised in Nebraska for 12 years, and then the last 26 years in Dallas, a cold rain in Texas is technically a 2 ft blizzard. In terms of car accidents, much worse. Texans love to venture out in ice storms when driving is impossible, and raid walmart and stay home when snow arrives. So I suggest thist first, gas up your cars to full in the event you get stuck in traffic with a wreck or on-lookers of a crashed f-150 truck with 2 sand bags in the back. Second, if it is bad, stay home, our 89,000 wells are rumored to still be here when the weather clears. Texas has very few ice or snow storms, so they do not sand the streets and there is no scrubbing of the oils on the streets. A simple rain brings the oil to the surface and wahlah, Texas mahem at it's best. In summary, be careful the next 2 days."
Great guy. For those of you in the area, be careful and enjoy the extra time at home.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's how it's been here 70F one day, then a couple days of 26F for the low and 55F for the high. Tomorrow it's supposed to go back up to 70!

I have seen the Grand Canyon in a Snow Storm, it's gorgeous!

Be Safe Driving!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Wal-Mart raiding. That never happens in Missour! HA! We invented Wal-Mart. But on top of the ice, snow, and freezing temps, add NO POWER for 2 days. I thought I had enough fat on my bones to stay warm, but I was wrong. SEND HEAT!

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home