Tuesday, December 05, 2006

12.5.06 Cooking Mishap/How I hurt my Hand

I was trying to be a good wife and cook breakfast on Saturday morning. I got up, followed the recipe and thought evevrything was going well. I forget the name of the dish I was trying to cook; but, it required me to put eggs, herbs, milk and cheese in a hot skillet and then put the skillet in the oven for 20 minutes.

When the 20 minutes were up, I put on my oven mit and took the HOT skillet out of the oven. I placed the skillet on top of the stove so that I could cut the egg dish into pieces. I took OFF my oven mit to grap a knife from the drawer. I, then, grabbed the handle of the HOT skillet (like you usually do when dealing with a skillet) WITHOUT the oven mit. My hand was not on the handle but for a few seconds; but, I heard my skin sizzle...the handle was that HOT. I immediately turned to the sink and ran cold water over my hand for a few minutes. My skin was not peeling or blistering (too bad); so, I decided it was not the emergency it felt like it was.

There were a few places on my hand that I had to hold ice on for a while before it finally quit burning. My hand throbbed for the rest of the day and was a little sensitive for a day and a half. There are also places on my ring finger and pinky finger where the fingerprints are kind of smooth. I'm tellin' ya...I burned the dickens out of me!!

The egg dish was also a disaster. The recipe called for fresh herbs. I didn't have any fresh herbs so I used dried ones (not reccomended...and I know better). I also used the same amount as the receipe called for (fresh herb measurements don't equal dried herb measurements); so, there were WAY TOO MANY herbs and they all floated to the top to form an herb crust over a soggy-not-enough-cheese-mixture of eggs. I had to throw the whole thing in the trash.

Thank you all for your wishes of fast healing. I am better now. My hand is back to normal...just a little dry where I was burned.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Owwwww!Haleigh Anne, I'm sorry! I"ve done that quite a few times. Both the burning of my hand, and an omelette that didn't quite turn out right! Hope your hand is feeling better.
Hugs, Christine

2:27 PM  
Blogger Redhead Editor said...

OUCH!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home